RE: Painting Interior Parts?

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 00:12:31 EST

Robert,
I painted all of the brown plastic parts and the steel dash in my 83 Toyota
with regular Black Krylon. You don't need to sand the parts you are painting
or even primer them. The paint will stick to the plastic very well on it's
own as long as you make sure you CLEAN EVERYTHING. Read that again, because
if you don't CLEAN COMPLETELY you will end up with fish eye in the paint and
it may flake off. BTW, wet sanding is just using a sand paper that is made
for use with water while sanding. The water keeps the particles you are
removing with the sand paper from clogging the grit of the paper. It also
has a nice side affect of eliminating all dust.
Have fun, and plan on your truck being gutted for a couple of days while you
have everything out of it. I drove the Toyota without a dash for 3 days
while I was working on it. Another thing you may want to do if you don't
just want the interior to be all one color is to consider something like the
splatter or spider web paints out there. After I sprayed everything black
and waited for it to dry, I came back with silver spider web paint and just
shot the stuff all over the place. The end result was really cool. You just
have to know when to stop so that the effect it right instead of being over
done. Sorry, but I never took a picture of it. Too bad though, I got allot
of compliments on it.

John
98 Dakota 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Leach headers

<snip>
I saw a lowrider at the gas station, and saw that he had painted his
interior parts, such as dash, cupholder, door locks, etc. He said all
he did was wet-sand a primer them, then paint 'em. So how can I
wet-sand, and what the heck is that, interior parts? Second, what kind
of primer and where can I get it? I want to paint some things in the
engine (alarm, horns, siren, fuse box, battery hold-down, airbox, etc.)
orange, and do the interior the same way.
<unsnip>