Re: Shocks

From: David Henry (dhenry@advdata.net)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 20:00:56 EST

I've gone through a few on my '94. Here's the rundown. Stock - sucks.

Next were Rancho's 5000 in from 9000 in rear. The rears were good,
because I could adjust them to fit the current setup. The fronts were
still way to wimpy, but still much better than the stockers. I think it
would have been fine if they offered the 9000 for the front, but they
didn't(don't?).

The next replacement was to swap out the front shocks with Trailmaster SSV
shocks. These things were great offroad, but still a little bit soggy for
pavement use. I would have liked to see them a little bit firmer. I still
may have been ok if I had either HD Torsion bars or less weight on the
front.

The current phase was done in conjunction with the Trailmaster 4" lift. I
now have HD Torsion bars and duel SSV shocks on each wheel. This helps out
quite a bit. I still need some fender / body trimming to eliminate wheel
rub before I can really trash it, but it does work quite well now. The
ride on the road is much stiffer than it used to be, but no worse than most
cars. It did however, loose the nearly Cadillac smoothness that it had on
pavement. Needless to say, that feature isn't much of an asset when your
off the pavement.

Summary. I know that Rancho and Eldebrock have come out with a similar
design to Trainmaster's SSV shocks, so those might be worth considering as
well. It's definitely a design that seems to work the best. It's all just
a matter of what works best on your particular vehicle and application.
 Unfortunately they really need a "try before you by" shock store.

David Henry '94 CC 4x4 318 5Spd in MI