gas boycott

From: David Steinberger (das@phcpas.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 18:19:39 EST

As the original one to forward this post to the DML, I feel compelled to
respond to those that think the boycott is silly. At first glance, I
agree. A one day boycott isn't going to hurt their pocketbook. But it
IS a protest. This increase in prices is pure gouging and for us to do
nothing is tatamount to saying "That's ok, Exxon, I understand." As an
individual, I can be heard, if I can promote this boycott. We don't know
the reverberating effects of a boycott. Is it totally unreasonable to
suggest that a mass scale boycott would not make national news? Do any
of those people buy stock in Chevron? Might they continue the protest
by selling their shares? If enough anger is generated, could it speed
up the manufacturing of electric cars? Sure, these are stretching the
issue, but who knows. Do nothing and you gain nothing. Do you also
refrain from voting because your "silly" little vote won't make a
difference? Thanks for listening. David