RE: Re: S-bolt vs. stock bracket

From: charger69rt@excite.com
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 18:46:48 EDT

Hi List

When I first heard of the "flip the stock bracket trick",I thot it
was one of the more clever ideas around. Esp after the "eat the broken
s-bolt post".

If you flip the stock bracket do something to positively retain the
1/4-20 bolt that now is used by your wingnut to hold the aircleaner
top lid. (92 year)

I thought the tightness of the wingnut, plus the tinnerman style lock
washer would be enough to keep everything safe.

Xmas night the wingnut backed off, the 1/4-bolt backed out of the lock
washer (leaving the lockwasher on top of the flipped over bracket) and
toured the cylinders of my V8....at least 4 of them anyhow, bending
4 intake valves.

The engine had 60,000 miles on it so we decided to rebuild it at this
time also upgrade camshaft and install a windage tray.

I built a s-bolt out of 1/4-20 brass rod and made the "S" as gradual
as possible.

The aircleaner base came from a late 60's dodge four-barrel setup about
a 12" X 4 open element.This setup was a test case to see how big of
K&N filter we could run.

This was all about 3600 miles ago.

The weather has been cold and rainey here in Phoenix....with the
emphasis on the rain.

Friday night my rocket surgeon of a son drove into water deep
enough and fast enough to do damage to the engine.The engine
smokes out the tailpipe and breather big time. #8 header pipe
was dead cold,and when cranked the cylinder blows out oil.
A compression check showed zero compression.
A busted piston or cylinder is first guess.

The autopsy is tonight.(on the truck)

Another chance to 360 the Dak!!!!!

roblip