Electric fan, worth it??? -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 19:32:02 EDT

I say, get a new fan, but not a Perma Cool. Doesn't Flex-a-lite make a
good fan? hhmmm.... I'm considering elec. fan on my premag (clutchless
assembly...big power loss) and I'm wondering about it coppin' out on me
in traffic (which there is plenty of here in Va.)....

-mike d.

>>> William Blount Arthur <m990198@nadn.navy.mil> 04/05/99 12:50pm

Ok, I have been running a perma cool electric fan for a year now. I liked
the extra milage and responsiveness. However, I dont like it when it
poops out on me in the middle of traffic. This weekend the fan burned up
while I was going back to NC. As you can imagine, there was some
traffic
and things were not moving too fast. I only need it when I am moving
under 25 mph but I was at a stop/crawl for a while. The truck started
getting hot. If it had been summer I would have had to cut off, the
heater trick was not helping too much. I went to the perma cool page
and
they have a replacement motor part # but jegs has to order it and that
would cost 10 bucks more than getting a whole new fan from them. Is it
even worth it?

Bill
'97 SS/T