strange noise

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 15:41:28 EDT

Ok, I've got a strange noise that I can't figure out and I need some
help. It is a chirping noise, heard from about 20mph down to zero.
The noise is heard when slowing down to a stop, and sometimes when
taking off(depending on traffic noise). It's not loud--but can be
heard with the radio off. It doesn't seem to be in relation to the
engine or tranny. I've jacked the rear end, put it in gear, and
can't hear it anywhere back there. It must be somewhere in the
front. Everything has been greased, and all fluids have been changed
at proper times. Brakes seems to be good. The noise only appears
after being driven a mile or two. The only suggestion I've gotten,
was that it may be the speedometer cable. Is this possible, and if
so, how do I check? Any suggestions on what my problem my be are
welcome.
Thanks!!!
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6 48,000miles