Re: Chrysler Quality

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 15:11:20 EDT

----
>Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 08:36:55
>From: Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com>
>Subject: Re: DML: i wonder if i can squeeze lemon outta my brakes
Brake warranty is for the 1st year or 20,000 mi.

If the rotor can be turned, then both will have to done. If you have to get new rotors, I'd suggest that you go aftermarket. A mechanic who worked for D-C said that the metal that D-C uses isn't of a very high quality (one rotor on my '96 Grand Caravan ES was badly grooved on the inboard side just after the 1st year).

I went to Midas who replaced both rotors and I had them put in Carbon Metallic pads. Great pads ... improved braking and less brake dust. It's been about 2 years since then and everything is still aok.

Hope this helps.

Bob Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto.

I had the same problem with my wife's Sundance...it needed brakes and 30,000 miles and everything needed to be replaced...the factory parts were very poor quality.... rotors were too pitted to be turned, no meat in the drums to be turned, etc, etc.

I guess it's the same story with Dakota brakes. I've had my Dak since the fall of 1996 and it's been typical Dodge truck, one little thing after another. Chrysler seems to cut corners on quality when they build them and end up paying the dealers to fix them under warranty. After that, the owners are stuck for it.

I love the truck and enjoy driving it, but I'm sure glad I haven't had to pay the repair bills. Two weeks ago it the thermostat gasket had disintegrated and was leaking, it's at the dealer today having a leaking input manifold gasket replaced.

Based on my experience with the Dakota, when it came time to replace the Sundance this year, we bought a (BOO, HISS) Toyota Corolla.

I'll let you know how it stands up over the next few years, at least this time the dealer is 5 minutes away, not 40 miles.

Rob Agnew ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C. Canada