Intro

From: Joe zuvanich (zuvanich@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 16:35:52 EDT

Hi,

My name is Joe Zuvanich, I own a 1992 Dodge Dakota club cab. I bought it
used in 96 and it has been a great vehicle right up until about 3 weeks ago
when it began dying for no reason that I could see! Over the next two weeks
this phenomenon got worse,, It didn't matter whether I was accelerating,
decelerating, idling, coasting, the only common thread was that it waited
until it was warm before starting to die! Usually it would start right back
up,,, occasionally it wouldn't die completely, but chuckle along at 200 rpm
and then pick back up.

I had my brother who runs an import garage put his computer on it and take a
snapshot of the sensor readings through the computer when it died and he
couldn't pinpoint anything in particular as the cause and theorized that the
computer was going bad!

I took it to a local mechanic who physically checked all the various sensors
and components that could cause the dying,, nothing worked until he sprayed
the computer with some circuit coolant and then the car ran for 45 minutes
straight without dying, in fact it ran for the next 2 1/2 days without dying
and then it got worse all at once!

Now it starts ok,, but as soon as it warms up it dies and is hard to restart
and then dies again almost right away and won't start again,,,,

I bought a new computer for it and put it in!,,,,,,, no change! A friend of
mine found a page on the Dodge Dakota Web ring that he said described this
problem and reported the cause as a bad wire in the wiring harness! I can't
find that page!

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me on this subject as
I'm extremely tired of riding a bicycle to work!

Thanks
JZ