Re: pulleys

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 14:23:45 EDT

> > After running at idle (with the lights on) for about 10 minutes, I
tried
> > to turn on all power sources at once... heater blower, radio, driving
> > lights, hazards, rolled up both windows at the same time, plus held
> > them against the top for about 5 seconds. No dimming of the head
lights...

> When you come to a stop sign a night... do your headlights dim or flicker?
> They did on my 87 Buick. If they don't on the R/T... I may have to get a
> set... what size belt did you get? How about the pulley set plus the AC
and
> power steering bypass shortbelt!? That would be sweet at the track!
> Charles
> 99 Dak R/T

As I stated above (idle for 10 minutes, which is a better test than at a
stop
light for 1-2 minutes)... no dimming, flicker, nada... The voltmeter is
still within
the 'ok' range on the gauge. The instructions give the belt Gates p/n... I
had
to go to 3 different shops before I found a Gates equivalent. NAPA should
have the Gates belt straight up, but I didn't go there. The belt is a 6
rib, vs. the
stock 7 rib belt... you mount the belt towards the engine, with the rib
closest
to the radiator exposed. I've had it on for about 2 weeks... No problems.

The AC actually is a free wheeling pulley... if the ac clutch isn't engaged,
there's
really no friction with that. The power steering pump only takes away HP
when it
is being used (making a turn, but no real penalty when going straight).

I plan on getting another set for my wife's RT because of the 1 mpg mileage
increase
alone.

Installation is a snap: large adjustable wrench on the fan bolt, remove
from pulley--
DON'T DROP IT!!, remove the 4 bolts for the fan shroud, lift out fan shroud
and fan
at the same time. Remove existing belt. Disconnect 2 connections to ALT,
remove ALT.
Remove 6 bolts into existing crank pulley. Install new crank pulley (with
blue locktite), using
existing 6 bolts. Use impact tool to remove existing pulley from ALT. (if
you don't have an
impact tool... drive down to Pep Boys, or other 'shop' and have them switch
the pulleys for
you... I did, and they didn't even charge me a dime!)... Re install ALT,
connect 2 connections
to ALT, put on new belt. Lower FAN and shroud infront of engine. Mount fan
on water pump
pulley. Bolt down the shroud. Check for lost tools... Start it up!

Sam '99 RT x 2