Re: Selling Dak?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 02:06:45 EDT

At 10:48 PM 4/12/99 , you wrote:
>Ok, I'm just tossing this idea around. I've come to the point where any
>modifications I make to the Dakota will compromise something like how
>useful it is, or will cost a heck of a lot. I could certainly go
>hard-core with it, but I don't want to. Basically, the Dak is ceasing
>to be something different. I want an AMC. I want either a Javelin, or
>an Ambassador, but I'm not doing the two-car thing. My question is, how
>can I sell a modified Dakota? The only way I can think of is the dealer
>(a friend who I trust.) Also, (check site below for specifics) how much
>can I expect to get for it?
>This is probably "just a phase" but it's inevitable that I will sell the
>Dakota. I'm just not a new-car kind of guy. I want someone to look at
>my vehicle and say "Wow......what is that?"
>Anyway, just a thought.
>Later

   Well, I can't say that I'm not biased, but... :-)

  1) Do you really want to put your trust in a 30 year old AMC? Don't get
me wrong; I love the looks of the Javelin, but from what I've heard, AMC's
weren't exactly known for their quality. (Though I'm sure there are
exceptions.) Anyway, even if it is a quality vehicle, its still almost 3
decades old. I'd love to have an old muscle car, but there's no way it'll
be my only daily driver... I'm going to wait until I can afford 2 vehicles.

  2) Modified vehicles can be hard to sell. (Or even get your money out
of them...) I'm planning on making something special out of my Dak, and
I'm planning to keep it, partly because there's no way I'd get someone to
pay what I'd consider a fair price for it. Somtimes you get lucky and find
someone who thinks the same as you, but with any modified vehicle, a buyer
may wonder how much its been abused... Lets face it; not many people
modify vehicles for power and never expect to use that power... If a
vehicle has go-fast parts on it, it has probably been pushed pretty hard at
times. But has it been pushed too hard? There's no way of knowing, so
many people are reluctant to purchase one...

  3) If you sell your Dak for one of those muscle cars that looks like it
goes fast, make sure it actually IS fast. :-) I've lost count of the
number of intimidating "muscle cars" that I've left suckin' exhaust fumes.
 They look nice, but when it comes down to the line, many just can't deliver.

                                               -Jon-