Cat Converter having kittens

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 19:36:15 EDT

My wife and I just got back from a little camping trip we took this weekend.
As soon as we arrived at the camp ground I noticed a loud rattle coming from
the Dakota. I reved the engine and rattle changed pitch. So I walked around
the truck and the sound was very clearly coming from under the passenger
side of the cab. I crawled under the truck and sure enough, the cat was
making all the racket. I banged on it a couple of times with a hammer, but
the rattle did not stop. I checked the heat shields and they were all nice
and tight. I shut the truck off and banged a couple of more times. The
rattle is definately inside the cat. On the drive home I noticed that the
performance of the truck was way off too. All RPM bands were affected and
the tranny would kick down with the slightest application of throttle when
on the highway. When I got in tonight I called the service adviser and told
him to expect me in the morning. Let's see if they can duplicate this
problem.
I guess the only good thing about this is that my 318 V8 now sounds like a
5.9 Cummins at idle+ACE-

John
98 Dakota 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Mopar (Leach) headers