Re: Neutral safety switch???

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 1999 - 04:56:22 EDT

There's a ignition cut off switch, neutral safety switch on
the automatic transmission. (NOT sure where it is on the
RT), but on my old Ford vans we had where I use to work,
it was a small white plastic piece mounted on the outside
of the transmission, and had the gear selector yolk passing
through it. When you were in park, or Neutral the cam inside
the unit moved to a point that would complete the ignition
circuit. We had 3-4 of these go out over the 10 years I worked
there. If putting it into Neutral made it work, then it worked in
'park' there after.. the safety switch might be A) Loosely
mounted and will most likely give more problems in the
future or B) Has bad connections on the 'Park' side, or was
contaminated with water, dirt, or mud and 'cleaned' off when
you moved from Park to Neutral and back.

I'd have the dealer check it out, or take a look see under
neath and you should be able to find it.

Sam '99 RT x 2