Re: Re: Thrush Mufflers...

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 20:32:01 EDT

As an example, the PowerPro Series book "How To Build And Modify Intake &
Exhaust Systems" states that the primary purpose of the muffler, of course,
is to "muffle" the exhaust noise levels to an acceptable level. The glass
packs do this by using a perforated pipe going through a casing filled with
a heat-resistant dampening material, such as basalt wool. As the gases pass
across the perforations, the holes set up eddy currents, which tend to
impede flow. In a turbo muffler, the exhaust gases are split upon entry,
sent in two different directions, and brought back together as they pass
through the muffler. When brought back together, any identical frequencies
collide and cancel each other, thus reducing noise without impeding flow (as
with the perforations).

Well, dude, I don't know what else I can tell you. I'm not a muffler
expert, which is why I read quite a bit about them. All I can say is I've
never seen a performance article or book that recommended glass packs over
turbos, and they all recommended exactly the opposite. This includes
performance articles in magazines from the early 80's up thru the late 90's,
so I guess the turbo muffler factories have ALL of the performance writers
snowed, even the ones doing dyno tests.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm just passing along information. I really
don't care what kind of mufflers you put on your vehicle, but I'm sticking
with turbos. Just too much info out there saying they're better......

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate