Re: Open all over

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 19:52:59 EDT

At 05:06 PM 5/1/99 , Robert wrote:
>Yes, K&N came out w/ them last July, $40 I believe, they replace your
>lid. The only Dak I know of w/ one on it is Terry Delong, owner of
>Proglass-Profinish, on his ram-air Dakota. I'm thinking of getting
>one....that way the air goes straight down, not down, around at 90degrees,
>and then another 90deg turn to go down again.

  K&N's name for 'em is X-stream. I use a 14" on my '96 with a ProGlass
ram-air hood, and I know Bill Tierney uses a 9" on his '93 which also has a
ProGlass ram-air hood.

At 05:47 PM 5/1/99 , Bob wrote:
>I tried to buy one of these about a year ago from Summit. They told me thye
>were being held and recalled back to K&N because they tended to be weak and
>collapse under the slightest pressure. Maybe thy've redesigned/improved
>them bu now though.
>Bob K.

  Yep, I got the same story. I was told by Jegs that K&N was re-tooling,
but then I heard a rumor that K&N decided to scrap the idea. When I heard
that, I quit trying to get one cheap; Bill found one for me at a local
speed shop for about $40 or so. I only use it at the track though. I
don't feel comfortable enough to use it for daily driving. (You can't
cinch the lid down as tight as you can with a metal lid, and I don't want
the stresses and such of daily driving to wear it down and cause premature
failure. Who knows... If they stopped making them, I might not even be
able to find another one.

At 02:38 PM 5/1/99 , Dr. Pat wrote:
>K&N makes a air cleaner lid that will fit on standard 14" air cleaners. It is
>made just like the filters they make. Basically, it doubles your surface area
>and "redirects" airflow. It would probably do NOTHING for me since my air
>cleaner(14X3) is already up against the hood. Would be awesome with a ram
>air hood though.

  Yep, indeed it is. :-) A 14x3" K&N with the 14" X-stream lid is
supposed to be capable of flowing 1,000cfm. Its perfect for my ram-air;
the air gets blasted straight down through the lid. I don't know that I
can come up with any specific numbers (like "it gave me a tenth"), but it
sure doesn't hurt! =)

                                               -Jon-