Re: Friday night drags.

From: Michael Clark (magnumv8@wt.net)
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 03:12:21 EDT

Well, as Gene and Richard have already said we had a fun night at HRP. I
was trying out the lakewood bars and short belt. I ran a baseline when I
got there while the truck was still hot -- 15.11 @ 90.74 I then changed to
the short belt (I decided to run the waterpump and alt) this took 30 minutes
maybe and then ran a 14.85 at 92.20 -- about 2 tenths for $10.00, not bad.
I had a best run of the night of 14.83 @ 92.27 Previous best time (in 40
degree weather) was 14.86 @ 92.67 so I was satisfied with my improvement
seeing as how the air was 30 degrees warmer than last time.

The lakewood bars helped my 60' but wasn't a huge improvement. About a
tenth. Previous best without the bars was 2.399 With the bars I managed a
2.278, average for the night was in the low 2.30's Still sucks, but for an
open diff I can't complain too much I guess. Richard has the same 355 open
diff like me and he was also having a hard time finding traction.

I decided to let Richard try out my MPSBEC for a few runs. He swaped out
and I put my stock unit back in (never ever sale your stock computer back).
With the stock computer I ran a 15.177 @ 90.64 and a hot lap right after
that 15.279 @ 90.24 By this time I was itching to get my computer back ;-)
and Richards truck had developed a sudden case of "stuck hood" syndrome...
Swapped the MP unit back in and ran my best of the night. So the MPSBEC
proved to be good for a little over 3 tenths and about two mph. I also
found that after a reset of the computer I got my best time, and if I
remember correctly Richard got his best stock-SBEC-time after he
re-installed his. I think it might be worthwhile to reset after every
run....

I also discovered a great product for cleaning the shoe polish off your
windows. I had some Castrol Super Clean hand cleaner in my truck and I
thought I'd see if it would clean the numbers off my windows. It does, and
it works great! Just dab some on a rag and rub the numbers a little and
they will disolve, then let the whole mess dry (about 30 seconds) then wipe
with a clean rag and it will flake off just like waxing your car. No muss
no fuss and leaves no residue at all! I was impressed. The days of windex
and white streaks running down my window are over. I found this stuff at
wal-mart, it's in a purple squeeze container. It might be a new product
because I didn't see it on castrol's website. Oh yeah, it works on your
hands too... ;-)

As Gene and Richard said, we need to get more Houston area Daks out there.
We really had a great time!

Oh yeah, after a night of manual steering when I put the stock belt back on
I had to learn how to drive all over again!....
---Mike, near Houston.--- http://www.mikesdakota.com
                   '93 V8 4X2
Houston Area DML Meet Page
     http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/9221