Re: Goofy Electrical Questions

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 12:45:39 EDT

<< 1.a.) I want to hardwire a couple of things like my Streamlight charger
and
 CB... The Streamlight came with a cigarette lighter adapter and the guy that
 sold it to me said all I need to do is cut the wires and run one to a power
 source and the other to ground... This sounds right to me but I thought I'd
 check first.

Yeah Tom this sounds good, I especially like the part about hardwiring the
Streamlight Charger; this is what I did for my Radar Detector, rather than
use the one(and only) power outlet I have. It worked out good and looks good.

 1.b.) Assuming I just cut these wires, what's the best way to get to that
 auxiliary fuse box and how do I attach the wire??? I don't have small hands
and
 it looks almost impossible to reach up under there and get to it. Is there
some
 trick to it?

What I did Tom when I wired my CB and radar detector was to find an
accessory, like the radio(which only can turn on when the key is in the 'on'
position), and then find the power wire to the radio and use those neat
little 3M wire taps which simply clamp onto the new wire as well as the old
wire and when the clamp is closed little metal pieced go into and through the
insulation and transfer the power to the new wire being used while not
disturbing the power going through and into the other accessory, hope I didnt
confuse you! I think they are like 15-20 per pack and cost about $2 at a
hardware store. They work good, just do no use them if you tap into wire
which is exposed to weathering, like outside of your Dak. In my experience,
these taps are not good at sealing out corrosion but work great inside the
truck. I am sure they might even make watertight ones now. Good Luck.

 1.c.) Imagine if you will the lower plastic covers. Just below or to the
right
 of the steering column... Anybody know what's behind these??? This is
where I
 plan to mount the Streamlight charger and I need to use screws to attach it
on
 account of the weight of the light. What I'm concerned about is wires or
 something else behind there that the screws will damage. I couldn't reach
up
 there to feel around either. >>

On my 93 there really isnt anything behind them, they just cover up the guts
of the dash. I would imagine the screws you are using arent that long to
begin with, so I wouldnt worry about it, drill away!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6