Re: depressing day at the race

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 03:51:17 EDT

At 07:48 PM 5/2/99 , you wrote:
>Well, i paid a total of 19 bucks and got 6 runs...
>i'll record all the data in a sec. but first off, i'd HATE this truck.
>What the heck is wrong with it? a 98 dakota RC v6 5-speed spanked me 2
>tenths of a second bone stock. (just in case you don't know me or forgot. i
>have a 97 v6 auto, k&n ported TB, cat back flowmaster exhaust, electrical
>fans, and a jet stage 2 chip. ) AH!!!!!!

   Yep, there aren't too many things more depressing than a bad day at the
races. (Well, breaking at the races ranks up there tho...) ;-)

  The thing that immediately grabbed my attention was your 60' times. How
shall I put this? :-) They're ummm... not so hot. ;-)

   I get dissapointed if my 60' drops to a 2.2, but you're turning 2.6's to
2.7's. There is easily a half a second to be gained by fixing your launch
problems. Do you have an open or limited slip differential? Do you get
bad wheelspin on the line? Does it bog off the line? What's your normal
launch procedure?

  Without knowing exactly what you're doing, here are some general tips:

  - Don't drive through the water pit, go around it.
  - Don't do a big smokey burnout; just spin the tires for a couple of
seconds to get the dirt and water off of 'em.
  - Don't lower the air pressure in your tires too much. Taking out about
5psi or so will help, but if you go too low on a street tire, your launch
will suffer. (Although tires and rims differ, so you will have to play
with it a bit to find your optiumum launch psi.)

  As far as the actual launch itself goes, that varies from person to
person. Some people like to hold it at a specific RPM and launch at that
RPM. Others stay at idle and bring in the power gradually, adjusting power
by feel. (I do the latter.)

  Based on your MPH, I think you should be able to run 17.2's. (Probably
faster, actually, since a better launch may have increased the MPH.)
Anyway, it looks like you've got a few more horsies under the hood; you
just need to hook 'em to the ground.

---------

  Did you reset your computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable
for a few minutes? If not, the computer may have been in some sort of
"highway mode", and may not have been using the best settings for
acceleration off the line.

  If you have an automatic, make sure your turn off the OD.

  Anyway, I hope you managed to have some fun too! :-)

  (I apologize if any of this message sounds like its being critical; that
wasn't my intention; I'm just tryin' to help ya to go faster!) :-) Better
luck next time!

                                               -Jon-