$185 throttle body cleaning

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 23:30:24 EDT

Dealer also tried to get me to have a 185 dollar TB
cleaning. I don't think so. I feel that this is something that I
should be
able to handle, any thoughts?

-Yeah, I got a thought! Why dont you tell him to show you where
Chrysler has included this
$185 cleaning as part of their scheduled maintenance, and printed it in
your owner's manual, so
you knew that when a dealer told you to have it done at 19K miles, you
knew he was full of crap!
Then tell him if your T/B was so carboned up at 19K to require cleaning
that there must be something wrong with the engine/fuel management
system/emissions system, and that his technicians
should be looking over everything with a fine tooth comb to find what
has gone so dramatically wrong with your truck. Of course, since your
emissions warranty is now 8 years, 100K miles on emissions components
with the advent of OBDII that it will be performed free of charge.
Then, ask him what in the new MAP certifications just released this
year (Motorist Assurance Program) is he basing his recommendation on,
and is it a "required" repair or a "suggested" repair. Then, ignore
whatever he says back cause he's now just covering his ass.
  Finally, ask him to check your shocks. You know, you have 19K miles
on them and they really wont last forever...
  Sorry, had to do that, I hate consumers being ripped off...
Patrick
Firestone in Baltimore