Re: On the road

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 15:47:10 EDT

Hey I made it back. Found a self serve car wash Sat. night... Had hot
water
high pressure sprayer... Took the sap off in nothing flat. Bugs too.
Apparently up in
Flagstaff they are use to it, so they use a carwash that does the job right.

Drove my same 70 mph profile from Flagstaff to Yuma AZ that I did back in
Sept 98 in my SLT. Here's the findings. The SLT used 16 gallons even at
320 miles. The RT used 20.75 gallons at 319.9 miles *ran with DTE 0 for 55
miles!!* I had to turn the display off cause it was making me nervous. So,
running the same exact speed, running the same exact route... the RT managed
15.42 mpg vs. 20 mpg on the SLT. I did experience a bit more wind than on
my previous trip, and I figure that only subtracted maybe 1 mpg max. on the
trip.

My findings on the road trip are: the CC RT cannot, will not, get better
than 16 mpg driving 65 mph or higher. The eastbound portion of the trip was
run @ 75-80 for periods of 150-200
miles. Even climbing up a 30 mile 6% grade area the mileage never dropped
below 15 mpg. So, driving 65-80 mph will net you roughly 15-16 mpg on
varied road conditions.

The Yuma to San Diego segment had 35-40 mph gusting headwinds, and I ran 80
mph to majority of the trip. Then up a 6% 13 grade I was no slower than 75
mph... Gas for this segment was in the 12.5-13 mpg range. Not worth
doing that again.

Sam '99 RT x 2