Re: New Air Intake

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 13:27:03 EDT

When you say "airbox," I gather that you are speaking of of
the stock airhat that sits atop the TB? So you're going to
fab up another airhat ("airbox") outta fiberglass? If
you're taking the time to make a new one, why not add a 2nd
inlet like the Turbo City/Ram Air setup ('cept better) and
then you could have a matching K&N on the driver side (I
know space with the battery is an issue, but just an idea)?
 Where did you get that aluminum pipe anyway? I've
actually made an even cheaper copy of the system you're
talking about using black PVC sewer pipe; actually, it's
not finished and I was just waiting on the K&N filter to
come in before I mentioned it, but might as well talk about
it now since you brought it up. I think the PVC and
hardware cost me about 15 bucks total for two 45's and a
scrap length of 3" pipe. I'm using the first 45 bend at
the top to attach to the airhat as you did (also with a
rubber collar) and the second 45 on the other end of the
pipe to provide a better angle for the K&N to sit in the
cool inlet of the opening on the passenger side of the
radiator. Make sense? Its not as pretty as yours, but
since I have a 4x4, I don't really care. Plus, I don't
have an extra 200 bucks lying around for the K&N Gen II
that just came out. If you think of a way to rig up a
'cold air baffle' let us know. Oh, and as far as getting a
bigger K&N element, I just asked the parts guy to let me
look at the catalog and discovered that it lists the
filters with all their dimensions, so after comtemplating
my various options I found something that would work. When
it comes in, I'll get you the part number if you want.

Sorry for the rambl'n,
JY