Diesel engine oil in gasoline engine

From: Ryan LeBlanc (rleblanc1@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 04:09:49 EDT

Ok, so this is not directly related to Daks. But, who else can I turn to.
I actually trust most of the advice I get on this list. The last two years
have been pretty good to me and my Dak thanks to most of you! Ok, so here
is the question. I came into an old Ford car, with a 351W engine. This car
was originally owned by my grandparents. Never driven hard. Thus, the top
of the cylinders rarely saw the piston heads, or something like that. The
car is a 1972 and the engine needs a little cleaning. Someone told me to
put engine oil designed for diesel engines, but still with an SAE rating for
use in gasoline, into the next oil change, and change oil in 1500 miles.
Then repeat. He said that since diesel fuel was dirtier, the oil has more
cleaning additives. So, I politely told him I would investigate. So, here
I am investigating. Any one ever heard of this. Is it a good idea. Will
it work. Sorry for the Ford content. At least it is not a Ranger ;-) How
is the flame war going. Looks like things are heating up. Later,

Ryan
97, CC, 5.2L, 4x2