Re: Auto vs 5 Sp perfectly clear :-)

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 11:42:28 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/99 10:44:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
WillTier@aol.com writes:

<< The Autos win, check out the Drag Truck page .
 The 7 fastest trucks are autos ! Case closed !!! You 5 sp folks get 4,5 or6
 speeds to take the top 5 spots and you'll have a case but right now there is
 no more debate :-) >>

   Bill, just a side note. Arent all those trucks pretty far up there on the
hp scale? So, what does an automatic have to do with the et's? I thought it
was the HP that makes it go, the trans just shifts gears right? So, if you
would like to say that autos must be the choice of the top fastest trucks
thats fine. Maybe they are the most durable and most reliable as far as
shifting goes, but I hardly think that the tranny is what makes them the
fastest trucks out there. I've raced many a street races and just in
myexperience, it seems I should fear the manual cobra over the automatic
cobra every time. I normally will beat the auto stangs that have under 300
or so hp but put a 5 spd behind it with a knowledgable driver, man its close.
 I would venture to say that if the driver is good, the 5 spd will win due to
the gearing of that trans, as far as stock tranny's go anyway. Sure, we
could get into the modified, torque converter added auto and then yes, the
auto will probably win. But as far as speed goes, stock to stock, a 5 spd
vehicle compared to an auto, the 5 spd will win. Need proof? I had a 90
shadow with the 3spd auto and raced a buddy religiously to work on the eway
and at the light and his 90 shadow 5spd kicked my butt every time unless he
missed a gear. I guess thats not proof but hearsay, but its the truth.
Eric