Re: Auto vs 5 Sp perfectly clear :-)

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 22:28:36 EDT

Elmer Hanhart wrote:

> > Case # 2. Erich Hanhart takes me for a test ride in his 318 5 spd SLT
> > Dakota. Very impressive power for stock, not such an impressive overrev
> > when he too missed 3rd.
>
> I knew that would come back to haunt me someday. I was actually waiting
> for that. I've learned a technique to keep me from missing shifts very
> often. It was discussed a while back on the last tranny flame war. Go
> thru the gears with the clutch pushed in before a race (it really does
> help). I didn't scare you when I got sideways coming out of that turn
> did I? :)
>
> Erich (would rather miss a shift once in a while than not be able to
> control them 100% of the time) Hanhart
I know, I just couldn't resist! Nah, ya didn't scare me! Much(snicker).
I've owned 5 spd vehicles and I think I can shift them very well. The
first 2 vehicles I owned were manual and the one I traded on my R/T was
5 spd.
It's just a fact of life with a manual tranny, some time during the
course of ownership you're going to miss shifts. It happens. It doesn't
matter how good you are or whatever.
I don't REALLY care about the 5spd/ auto debate. I just thought I had an
angle that hadn't been beat to death yet. The 2 hands thing. Very big
deal(not). Alan S.