Re: Oil change nightmares

From: GrnDak4x4@AOL.COM
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 23:20:52 EDT

<< #1: Because of the clearances involved, wrenches are very hard to get on
the
 filter, making getting the damn things off a real challenge (finally found an
 articulated wrench that works well: the end cap and band style wrenches
 sucked...)

I am assuming you mean oil filter wrench? Also, not sure what kind of Dak you
have, but my 93 is easy to change the filter. I loosen the filter from the
engine bay with a filter wrench, very easy to get to.

 #2: Removing the filter throws oil EVERYWHERE! Ugh! This is WAY too messy.
 I've never gotten this much oil running out of a filter as I unscrew it...
 yuck. Bad Dak! No biscuit!

Hmmmmm once again, cant understand why. I bet you are taking the filter right
off without letting it drain. Before tkaing the filter completely off, just
keep turin it in small amounts so the oil doesnt go EVERYWHERE. And no , it's
not WAY to messy.

 #3: Funnel required... Daks and their darn hoses and harnesses everywhere;
 don't let you dump oil in very effectively from just the bottle. Bought a
 small, wide mouth funnel and viole', no spilling.

Funnel??? HUH? I have never used one on mine. Maybe after 104,000 miles and
oil/filter changes every 3,000 miles I have spilt about 2-3 ounces. Once
again, not sure why all the probs with the oil change.

 #4: Doggie pads a good idea! Buy some dog potty training pads for large
dogs
 and lay it down before you start your oil change. They soak up a ton of oil
 and are plastic on the bottom so it never reaches your driveway or street.

Ok, I can see your point here, in case I do spill oil, I use large 1" thick
sheets of cardboard which are reusable tons of times

 #5: Synthetics clean up much easier than dino oil. Original oil in truck
 stained everything (intake manifold leak until Dealer fixed it) it touched.
 Switched to Mobil 1 and no more stains. Even splotches on the driveway go
 away after time. The dino oil ones haven't faded a bit! Wipe up on the
truck
 a breeze too.

Hope you have better and cleaner luck in the future!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6