Oil change nightmares

From: Trevor Stott (trevor.stott@sheridanc.on.ca)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 07:54:06 EDT

Any job is easy *if* you have the right tools. I did my first oil change in my
99 Dakota the other day and it's kind of fitting this came out. First off let
me say it's one of the easiest vehicles (5.2L V8) I've worked on after the
first oil change. I went through a bit of a nightmare with the first one
since they torqued my oil filter on in the factory but now that it's on
properly I don't expect any problems. Just lube the gasket and tighten it as
much as you can by hand and you'll never have a problem. My personal
experience in regards to the $3 band wrenches are better than the claw style
any day simply since they can not puncture the filter...

On a side note, if you ever feel changing your oil on a Dakota is a nightmare
try changing the oil and filter in a Pontiac Sunfire. The filter is mounted
on the back side of the block against the firewall. I will never own another
vehicle like it!!!

Trevor