Ignition stuff

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@home.com)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 20:24:47 EDT

Hi all!

Quick question for the under-the-hood gurus. I've decided the next thing
I'd like to do on my 98 V6 is the ignition system. Seems to me that others
have had good sucess with aftermarket solutions, particularly on the 318,
and I'd like to see if those sucesses will translate on the 239. I'm not,
however, completely clear on the issues surrounding ignition fixes.

The basic result, I believe, is to deliver a more powerful, more reliable
spark at the plugs, correct? To do that, we want to deliver more current on
bigger wires, from a more powerful coil, and timed with a more accurate
ignition module. Is this basic theory correct?

In practice, what particular brand of coil, module and wire am I most
likely to see the best bang:buck ratio? I was considering MSD for the coil
and module, and Taylor for the wires, but several people here locally have
suggested looking at the Accel products.

Any guidence you can provide would be a great help!

cheers
-ch