Re: Oil

From: RCPL-VAN CNIWR (RCPL-VAN_CNIWR@van.reid-crowther.com)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 11:59:40 EDT

     I like to use the widest range of viscosity available to me. I
     paticularly like 5 weight for cold start-up. The 50 weight might be a
     bit excessive, since I don't tow anything (and can't really anyway.
     Thanks Dodge). So, next time around, I'll probably put in 5w30 Mobil
     1, or Castrol Syntec, or Pennzoil synthetic. I've used Pennzoil for a
     long time and liked it. When I owned a 88 5.0 Mustang, I always had
     low oil pressure. After moving to BC from Alberta (much closer to
     sea-level in BC), and switching to 10w40 in winter and 20w50 in
     summer, my pressure rose to normal ranges, making me feel a lot
     better. I've been keeping an eye on my oil pressure in my R/T, and at
     idle, when warm, pressure goes to the middle point. Upon acceleration,
     and steady cruise, it goes to almost the 3/4 mark. I'm not positive on
     this, but I seem to remember that on the regular oil I had before, it
     would always be close to the 3/4 mark. This pressure variation with
     the synthetic is probably due to it being a lot easier flowing, and
     basically requiring less pressure to the same amount of flow. That's
     good. Also, on startup, the pressure staying around the 3/8 mark for a
     few seconds is probably because the oil is actually flowing around the
     motor filling up the oil passages, and once filled, the pressure goes
     up, whereas before, the pressure would go up right away to the 3/4
     mark because the pump has to move that slow, heavy oil. Sound right?
     Hope so, otherwise that Fluid Mechanics course I took in Engineering
     was a right off :O)

     Chad Niwranski
     99 R/T CC Black/agate
     Abbotsford, BC