Re: Gas Mileage

From: Dester243@aol.com
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 16:57:58 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/99 2:18:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
protease@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< More to the point:
 I am looking into buying a new 2000 Quad Cab Dak. I wanted to see if there
was a general consensus on how to improve the gas mileage on their Dak's
though. This is what I am thinking:

 I am opting for the 318 motor. (5-speed manual)

 Mobil 1 - Decreases friction greatly over regular non-synthetic oils so it
of course will improve gas mileage. Right?
 Plugs - I like NGK GR4, and Bosch Plat +4's, has anyone found ones that are
better? 0.40" gap is the best for gas mileage on Daks right?
 Bed Covers - Do these actually help improve gas mileage? If so, by how much?
How much do they run? >>

HA! funny. i have a 97 dodge dakota v6 and it gets barely 16 MPG mixed city
and highway. Trucks have barely if any aerodynamics. i have a tonneau
cover. 10" air cleaner, ported TB, electrical fans, jet chip and i haven't
seen a number higher than 16 MPG on the overhead console for a while. the v8
will probably be a lot worse. if gas is a big issue to you, don't get a
truck. REALLY. but don't baise ur ideas on MPG alone. as for spark plugs
and motor oil increasing mpg? nope. i've used everything from mobil 1
(currently in the truck) to regular blended synthetic and oil and it's the
same thing. they're exaggerated.
-Dester