Re: Water neck for M1/MPI manifold Was: F&B TB Stage 2

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 01:27:19 EDT

At 12:56 AM 5/22/99 , you wrote:
>Jon,
>Besides the neck, what problems with mounting the air sensor did you or
>anyone else
>encounter?
>I should have my manifold alter this or middle of next month. Any
>suggestions on
>the install - parts list, specific problems?
>Jim

  Not yet. The manifold is sitting on a table in my basement. I've got
everything I need now for the install (I think) except for the vaccum tree,
another little fitting, and a longer vaccum hose for the PCV. I'm going to
replace the water pump bypass hose too and have to pick that up still.
When I install it, I will document it thouroughly along with a parts list
which I'll post to the upgrades section on the DML home page. I am
probably going to put together an "MPI install kit" which will include all
the parts you need (some are custom or hard to find) and some decent
directions. The ones from MP are very poorly done. If/when I do this,
it'll be for my cost plus a little extra for the DML. Such a kit will make
the MPI a true bolt-on. You could order the MPI, order the kit, and except
for some RTV, have everything you need to do the swap. Sort of "fill in
the holes" where MP dropped the ball... Someone could get all the parts
they need themselves of course, but this will give folks the option of just
getting everything they need all at once without all the running around
Bill and I are doing. :-)

  The jury is still out on the air sensor. I did some testing, driving
around with a temperature probe under the hood, and so far I've had the
best results putting the probe right next to the IAT sensor itself. In
this location, it read about 20 degrees cooler than the IAT. Putting it in
the air hat was about 40 degrees cooler (ram-air hood), but the temeratures
weren't "in sync" as well as the other location. I am planning to "let it
dangle" for a while and see what happens. I'm trying to make this install
as "bolt-on" as possible. (i.e. without drilling or tapping anything)

                                               -Jon-