Poor Man's K&N Gen II (oops--a little long)

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 13:20:31 EDT

Whoo HOOO!!!! I finally got my K&N Gen II clone (cone
filter on the end of a tube) put on and it has TOTALLY
awakened the truck!!! It has an awesome roar now that I
get a little of in 2nd, in 3rd past 2500 rpms, and in 4th
anytime you stomp the gas--its sounds like a V8 should, but
my gas mileage isn't going to improve if I keep driving
like this. It's like driving the truck for the first time
again ("like a virgin, touched for the . . ." er, sorry,
I'm not really a Madonna fan either but I couldn't help
making the reference). For those of you who want details,
I got a K&N RE-0920 which is for a 3.5" tube. It's got a
huge surface area--I think its nine inches long, not
including the upper rubber portion. I really went low
budget and so I went to the plumbing section at Home Depot
and got myself two black 3" (interior) diameter 45 degree
elbows and short length of 3" dia black PVC pipe. Also got
a rubber coupler to mount it to the stock airhat. Cost me
about $15 I think. The piping has an exterior diameter of
3.5" which is perfect for the huge K&N cone. The order of
the components goes, starting from the airhat: rubber
coupler, 45 elbow, ~12" length of PVC pipe, second 45
elbow, then the K&N. It works great because it places the
filter as far forward in the engine bay as possible and
angled a little down so its right where the air from
removing that rubber on the passenger side of the radiator
comes in. Yeah, it barely fits between the AC piping, but
it doesn't rub on anything. I actually was able to support
the front edge of the fileter with that rubber hose that
comes from the axle and attaches to the side of the
radiator. Anyway, I'm pretty proud of myself for coming up
with a mod that other people are paying over a hundred
for--my total came to around $55! Of course, my truck is a
4x4 so I don't really care what the engine bay looks
like--if I had an R/T I'd definitely want the trick chrome
pipe. Can PVC plastic be painted? Anyway, if anyone wants
more details feel free to email me.

Loving the ROAR!!!
JY
'98 CC 5.2L 4x4 5pd