AOD on '99 3.9L CC

From: Rick Pargeter (rparge@teleport.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 21:52:57 EDT

> Here's a quick test to see if you converter is acting properly. Get on a
> level strech and once it is locked keep your foot on the gas as normal
and
> apply light pressure to the brakes. It shouldn't take much braking at
all
> to unlock the converter. Sounds like you could have somehting
> malfunctioning like the lock up soelinoid <sp?>

If I tap the brake, as described above, the tach will jump up 300 or so
RPM's, then RIGHT BACK to locked. I have the gas pedal 1/2 to 3/4 open, a
good load for sure, but the darn thing just locks right up with no hint or
care as to whether there is a load on it. Surely this can't be right, can
it? What's the point of a torque converter if it's always 1:1??
TIA
Rick