Re: Re: Re: Fun with the Chubby dealer

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 20:59:49 EDT

True, a Hemi turns on where the 440 shuts down. The logical choice for a
truck would be the 440 since it is a torque motor. But if you want to race
(above 100mph), go with the Hemi (plus it holds its value much better :-)

I remember reading an article once about how Don "Big Daddy" Garlits broke
into drag racing. He was given an early Hemi (I think a 331) to race in his
dragster. It wasn't any faster than the other cars, so he kept bumping up
the timing, actually to a point that was considered very high for cars in
those days. The car still ran slow. He got pissed off and advanced the
timing ANOTHER 6 or 8 degrees, hoping to explode the engine so Chrysler
wouldn't make him race it anymore. Well, the engine didn't explode, but ran
like a scalded dog, and he won every race the rest of the day. The rest, as
they say, is history......

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate

Mike Williams wrote...