RE: mp3 players in Daks Was: Booted the Console

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 22:34:43 EDT

Take it one step further...

Get a retired IBM Thinkpad 365XD laptop and a MODAT pedestal (the laptop
holder that cops use in their patrol units). This gives you a color LCD
display, and fully functional keyboard and you can run a GPS via either the
PCMCIA slot or serial port. Use one of those cassette/CD playback modules to
put the sound into the tuner. Just have to figure out how to get 16vDC to
the laptop so the battery won't crap out (yes most laptops use a 16vDC
source). Or for those who have the bucks get a Sony VAIO 500 laptop (It is
smaller and uses a 12vDC source and can slip under the seat when you park
the truck). Or if you have patience wait for Sony or Kenwood's CD/MP3 head
unit to become available stateside...oops did I say that??? Seems RIAA is
throwing fits about MP3 ( I know I work in the music industry and I hear all
the execs pissing and moaning about lost profits and the like). BTW do you
know that most artists see only a very small percentage of the profits from
the music companies and most of the money the artists make are from live
performances? Yep...No wonder Ozzy keeps touring... Now you can see why RIAA
is having a shitfit over MP3. Also many moons ago RIAA also had a hand in
keeping direct CD2CD out of American homes! Yup those CD2CD units you see on
the store shelves today are NOT direct digital to digital (DD), they are DAD
(Digital Analog Digital). RIAA and the software arm called SIAA almost kept
the CD writers we come to know and love out of our hot li'l hands for the
sake of keeping thier profits,and ivory towers in LA or NYC (or both take
your pick).

Oops fell off my soapbox....

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd