mp3 players in Daks Was: Booted the Console

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 20:30:06 EDT

At 07:31 PM 6/8/99 , you wrote:
>Robert Howe wrote:
>>
>> No big deal... I have been contemplating a home-made MP3 player for my
>> truck.. and to find room for the PC-Boards I need a console, or some tricky
>> sheet metal work under the seats...so if it's intact and you want to sell it
>> contact me... if I like the price, we'll work somehting out. :)
[...]
>Speaking of MP3 players in vehicles, a friend passed me the following
>site by ICQ the other day. Sounds good to me - just can't afford the $$$
>right now.
>www.empeg.com
>
>And it'd definitely be the easiest route...

  Yep, that's a pretty cool little unit. :-) Another good site
(especially if you're planning on building an mp3 player for your vehicle)
is www.mp3car.com. I'm currently building an mp3 player for my '96 Dak.
I've got most of the system up and running in my house; I still have to put
it in the truck and do some more building and tweaking. (I haven't put the
LCD screen together yet.) Its a win95/linux dual boot. I wrote a custom X
app for the mp3 player (under linux). Its got 95 so I can use Streets USA
and my OBD-II diagnostics software. I'm planning on documenting the
install and putting it up on the DML home page, so if anyone else wants to
do the same, maybe that'll help you to see what's involved. I was hoping
to be able to put it under the club cab seats, but there just isn't enough
room there. So, I'm going to remove one of the seats and build an
enclosure. I'll make my software available too, in case anyone is
interested in using it. Mebbe I'll make it DML specific with some
background graphics or something. :-)

                                               -Jon-