Re: MPG

From: Tim (magnum318@bewellnet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 23:24:31 EDT

 From:Tim>magnum318@bewellnet.com
 tues.8th8:55pm

 Well to start with, I do live in Colorado Springs, Co. which is around 6100
+ or - a few feet depending on where a person lives in the city. YES you
will get better gas milage at altitude,BUT with a twist. With todays
computer and injected model cars the computer senses a leaning of the air,
which in turn leans the fuel to keep it at the proper air/fuel mixture. A
carburated engine has to be recalibrated for altitute--smaller jets,lighter
vacuums diaframs,the list goes on and on. Altitude plays HE?? with a
carburated engine and once its set for altitude, it runs LEAN at sea level
or anything inbetween--always not right. Also at altitude a person can run a
lower octane fuel and not ping(heat does sometime play a factor, being
closer to the sun--it does get HOT--but low humidity is a blessing. A lot of
people think that at altitude a person MUST give the vehicle more fuel
(bigger jets,or injectors) when just the opposite is needed--sealevel: more
fuel to equal out the air availability
          --altitude(5000ft and higher): less jetting to equal out the air
ratio
         -- ANYTHING up to 5000ft: whatever's needed to equal the air ratio
of 14.7 or 14.2 whichever the dealer has setup. THANK THE DAKOTA gods WITH
FUEL INJECTION AND FAST ACTING COMPUTER COMMANDS. Only 1 drawback at
altitude--a person looses about 20-30 percent of their power---sure glad I
have a V-8 with: self ported TB,MP headers,SBEC,custom this and
that---blah,blah
    hoped I helped anybody that wanted to know---BTW--I still get better
than 20MPG doing 75+mph, even with all the modifications.