Re: Throttle Body Mods - Again

From: dakota_5sp_v8 (dakota_5sp_v8@zracer.com)
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 01:24:33 EDT

I too would like to know if people have dyno charts of before and after
thier mods to the throttle body.

Its not that common to dyno before and after because it costs money. Its at
least $50 for a baseline pull which is 2 runs and they dont give you the
oppertunity to work on your rig there. Most places are $75 for a baseline.
When you do that twice for a before and after comparrison, thats $100. plus
the money for the mod.

I think bruce will agree that bigger isnt always better. There are people on
the list who modified the throttle body Without an all out hone job to 52mm
and cut 1/4 mile thier times. I think if you stay away from boring it, and
do what frank and bruce do, than youll be getting more ponies.

Basically, I did an experiment. Magnum performance charges like 500+ for a
friggen throttle body PLUS you have to give them your stock one. That is
allot!. Lets say you could (this is an example) get 20hp, add $500 for the
new tb and $250 for your stock one. That comes out to $37. per hp.

What I chose to do was buy a new tb from the dealer and take it to a machine
shop and do it local. This way, I get my old tb to fall back on if it doesnt
pass emissions or if I dont like it I can put the old one back on.

After telling the machine shop what to bore it to 52mm etc, he didnt think
it would increase hp. Then I told him I had a Kenne bell supercharger on
order and he then said that would make a difference and that is why I had it
done. I have yet to test to see if the 52mm tb makes a difference on a
forced induction engine.

Joel