Re: Off Topic Mechanic Question

From: Bob Nichols (bnich@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 13:07:50 EDT

Jetmugg@aol.com wrote:

> First thing is to make sure that the guage is correct. More than once in my
> life, I have seen sending units or guages which do not read consistently or
> accurately. It could be possible that you are chasing a problem which does
> not exist.

  I thought the sender might be bad but, it consistantly gets hot when still,
every time
  and figured if it was the sender, it would happen all the time. I might try
changing it but I'm gona lock up the fan 1st to try to get to the root cause.

> Secondly, make sure that the radiator is free from obstructions
> and corrosion. Then comes the fan shroud. Many people take fan shrouds off,
> but they are an important part of the cooling system.

   Yea, shrouds intact

> "Locking" the fan clutch does not sound like a good idea, as it will result in
> excessive rpm's for the fan at highway speeds, and high horsepower losses. If
> the fan clutch is faulty, either replace it with a correct replacement, or
> install a flex
> fan which is designed for direct drive usage.

   We'll stay off the highway, just do a "around town" deal and let it idle to
see if it
   gets hot with the fan locked up.

> My 2 cents.

   Thanks for taking the time to help.
   Bob

Lowered 1998 Metalic Red Extended Cab
Western Chassis 2/4" Drop, Gibson Cat Back, Lund Roll Pan, Sport Masters Burgandy
Tonnue, Home Grown K+N, F+B TB, Stillen Bumper Cover, Sony CDX-7850, Infinity
Kappa's, MTX 275x, MTX Thunderform and a MTX 2130
Visit my Dak at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/factory/7995