Re: Off Topic (Greg/Mugs)Mechanic Question

From: Bob Nichols (bnich@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 14:29:58 EDT

Bob Nichols wrote:

> Hey guys Sorry about the off topic, I'm trying to help my son solve a
> problem with
> his Toyota. Its running hot, only when you stand still for about 10 - 15
> minutes.
> We changed the Thermostat, it was OK. We checked the timming, it was off
> 7 degrees but still no luck. Even when the gauge goes up the car doesn't
> overheat or ping but it is consistant with standing still every time. My
> question, I'm thinking it might be the fan coupling/clutch.... Will I do
> any damage if I jam it somehow so it does't slip? or take off the clutch
> and direct mount a flex fan with an extension to make up the clutch
> space? Anyone done this?
> Thanks for any ideas / help
> Regards,
> Bob
>
> --
> Lowered 1998 Metalic Red Extended Cab
> Western Chassis 2/4" Drop, Gibson Cat Back, Lund Roll Pan, Sport Masters
> Burgandy Tonnue, Home Grown K+N, F+B TB, Stillen Bumper Cover, Sony
> CDX-7850, Infinity Kappa's, MTX 275x, MTX Thunderform and a MTX 2130
> Visit my Dak at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/factory/7995

Hey Guys,
Just let the car run for 1/2 hr in the driveway, the temp gauge was pinned
way beyond hot. I forgot I had my digital heat gun home, I can't get a temp
over 205 F
anywhere on the gooseneck / motor (except fpr the exhaust manifold of
course).
It has to be the sender. I'll change it tomorrow....... if the rice parts
store has it.
I didn't think it was running hot cause it wasn't pinging or anything, but I
didn't want the kid to get stuck.
Thanks to everyone who replied to me on the list and personally.
A bit off topic but I'm sure it'll help someone someday.
Regards,
Bob