Re: power of 2WD vs 4WD

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 22:14:56 EDT

Your post says it all!! The dealer did not have any 2WD in stock!!! Why
would he want to tell you otherwise... and lose a potential sale???? Most
salesmen (I hate 'em) would rather sell what they HAVE instead of what you
WANT. They will literally try to tell you black is white if they think
you'll go for it. Sorry for the cynical viewpoint, but I've just seen too
much of this. Don't get sucked in. You pay two ways with 4WD..1) power
loss (even if only from less favorable power/weight ratio). 2) Poorer gas
mileage. Given that most people who buy 4WD do not use it the majority of
the time (unless it's a full time 4WD vehicle) they end up paying for it all
the time. Think about it. There are some people that 4WD is truely
valuable to; but they are in the minority. That is why you can get a 2WD
Durango (if not right now then soon...and you'd probably have to order it
specially)..DChrysler can offer the same basic package to the average family
without the initial expense and continual upkeep..sort of a heavy duty
station wagon. Sorry for my digression but you get the picture.
Bob