power of 2WD vs 4WD

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 1999 - 23:23:24 EDT

"From: Rick Pargeter <rparge@teleport.com>
Subject: DML: 2WD vs 4WD

How much difference, performance wise, is there between the V8 2WD and
V8
4WD Daks? Am looking at a CC V8 auto, and if the 4WD sucks a lot of
power
from the truck, then I'll go 2WD, but my dealer told me that the 4x4
does
not take away any power at all, and that they drive and feel the same.

The dealer did not have any 2wd in stock, so I drove the 4x4 auto, and
it
didn't seem all the peppy to me.

Any comments would be appreciated."

-I owned a '94 4WD V8 Club cab and a '92 2WD V8 Longbed, (the '92 I
still own) The '92 is BONE STOCK, and was the first year for the Magnum
engine with improved F/I. The '94 4X4 had every possible
upgrade-exhaust, cam/spring kit, hi-flo injectors, computer, underdrive
pulleys, Jacobs Ignition, K&N filter, headers, blah blah blah.
  Let me tell you-the bone stock '92 could beat the pants off the
modified 4X4 without even breaking a sweat. I'd race them against each
other with a buddy, and the '92 would win, no contest. It would beat
the 4X4 out of the hole, and then it got worse from there.
  Boog has a 4X4 Longbed that he's done a couple of mods to, and yeah,
it moves out pretty decent. But I raced him once on the highway, and he
also drove my truck just to feel the difference. I'm sure he'll attest
that YES, there is a difference.
  Print this up and take it to your Dodge salesman and tell him to stuff
it up the tailpipe of the 4X4 he's trying to sell you. If he doesnt
think 500+ lbs. of 4X4 equipment doesnt slow a truck down, then he's
just workin' ya. Better yet, have him get a 2WD, and make him drive the
4WD, and race HIM!!!
Patrick