Re: Dakota HANDLING

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 18:50:27 EDT

Jason,

The Helwig Swaybar and, in my case, the ProComp ES9000 shocks really helped
the truck out on handling as well as that "mushy" feeling. Since I run a
lifted 2WD, the handling characteristics are very close to the 4WD. I've
personally tried the IAS shocks and wasn't too pleased with them but for
offroad characteristics...not street driveability. They may be perfect for
what you're trying to accomplish. The Energy Suspensions Poly-Urethane
bushings were very easy to install with the exception of the body mounts.
Since there are none made for the Dakota's, I had to modify an existing set
by drilling the center holes larger to fit the bolts. (I'll try to dig up
the part# of the kit I used...had to find them by sight.) The improvements
from the bushings are minor due to the high center oif gravity, but for
longevity, they're well worth it. (Also, no more bed creaking/popping noises!)