Re: Cowl hood sources

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 1999 - 11:15:23 EDT

At 08:51 AM 6/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Bob (and all),
>
>What type of filter would I need for a cowl hood? Would I need a gasket
>to seal the filter to the underside of the cowl hood?
>
>I'm just wondering because if the cowl hood and filter is the BEST
>choice versus buying the K&N Gen. FIPK (for $217 !), then heck, I may as
>well invest a little more in a cowl hood setup to get that nice cool
>clean air into my engine!

Typically, if a hood is functional (as this one seems to be), it
would come with the rubber seal or a sealing kit, and normally, they are
set up
for the typical 14" open air cleaners. Some, if not all, of the ram air hoods
which are mainly fiberglass are sold as non-funcional hoods. They usually
offer a functional kit as an option but this still requires that the buyer
cuts out the air inlets in the hood.

The two things that you mentioned are what I would want to know sure before
buying.
For me personally, if it comes functional for a 14" cleaner, then I'd search
around for a Canadian distributor (I get killed on border and brokerage
fees)...
although I think the $399 U.S. sale is a great buy.

Just got your second message.

The ram air type of hoods have the air inlets near the front part of the hoods
and depend on getting the air into the intake via the speed of the truck as
you drive. On the other hand, the cowl hood works on the differing air
pressure
at the base of the windshield and in the engine bay. When conditions are
correct, the air will be sucked into the intake like a vacuum.

My only experience with ram air hoods is from the muscle car days of the '70s.
Those hoods were more for looks than efficient functionality (not high enough
and situated too far back from the front of the hood). Generally, you
had to be going 100 mph for them to be really effective. Memory is really
getting bad but the only muscle cars that had the inlets near or at the front
were the Olds 442 and maybe one of the AMC muscle cars. The ram air hoods
for today's trucks are really a revival of all those muscle car hoods.

I'm not too sure how effective the cowls were. Usually, today's truck
cowls are
about 2.5-2.75" high ... more efficient ones are about 4" high. Sight
lines are
affected.

Hope this helps.

Bob