95 and 97 and 98 SBECs

From: Chad (mcc@negia.net)
Date: Fri Jun 18 1999 - 16:58:06 EDT

I was at Barrett Dodge in Athens, GA today checking prices on various
items for my 95 Dak V6. I also got some info on the 97 and 98 Comps.

I asked for a Mopar Performance computer for a 95 Dak and he said that
it wasn't in his computer. Said it was probably aftermarket. I insisted
that there was such and that it was made by Mopar. He said to call him
early in the morning the next day and that he could call the warehouse
and ask them, because he'd never get a response from them this late.
Said he had one listed for the 5.2 and 5.9, but no 3.9.

Now onto the 97 Computers. He said that 97 computers made by MOPAR ARE
AVAILABLE!! Just not from Mopar. Apparently Mopar made several of them,
then couldn't satisfy the EPA. So, they just sold them to whoever they
could to get rid of them. Says that he has found a few on the internet
for the 97, they just won't pass emissions testing,
but work fine. Mopar doesn't want anything to do with them though
because of the EPA.

I then asked him about a Factory PCM unit for a 95 and he said it'd run
me $385 bucks!! I nearly wet my pants. How can the Performance computer
be $250 and the factory unit $385? I haven't got there price for a
performance computer, but the going rate seems to be $250. They also
wanted $112.35 for a EGR Valve. WHOA! Anyway...

He said that the 98 Computers for the Daks are out and said that he
could go get
one and show it to me and sell it to me! So, they must be out, but he
could've been mistaken as I KNOW there is a SBEC for the 95 3.9L Dak.

Chad Clifton