Re: RE: Mopar Nationals at St. Thomas, Ont.

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 1999 - 13:03:07 EDT

At 11:30 AM 6/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Thank goodness that there was no damage to people or machine. Was this on
>the 401? I think we saw the pieces of that tire. I remember commenting
>that I sure was glad that I wasn't there when it happened.

Yep, on the 401.

>Pardon my ignorance, but what's valve float? Were you going to post your
>exact times for everyone's reference? I know you got eliminated, but
hopefully
>you had a good day anyway. I know we had a great time.

Basically, I pushed the valve springs beyond their capabilities...took the
rpms beyond the redline so that the valves didn't close when they were
supposed
to. In this particular run, just as I was about to do the 1-2 shift, the
valves
floated and I back off about 500-600 rpms. I shifted into second, got on
the gas again and they began floating again. I got off the gas again (more
this time) until I didn't hear the floating noise and ease the gas pedal
down...okay from here. Race is lost once you back off. Better to do that
than to head for home in limp mode in what is normally a 2 hour drive.

I looked at the time slip this morning and basically it shows what I had
thought.

              Bob RC R/T
Reaction .770 sec .699 sec.
60' 2.202 sec. 2.231 sec.
330' 6.504 sec. 6.394 sec.
1/8 10.107 sec. 9.908 sec.
          68.91 mph 69.02 mph
1/4 15.827 sec. 15.489 sec.
          82.12 mph 83.63 mph

As you can see from the 60' time, I was doing alright. From the 330' time,
you can see that I had to back off for the first time before the 300' mark.
His low trap speed of 83.63 mph shows that, once he passed me, he braked
just enough to keep ahead of me because he didn't want to breakout (i.e. go
lower
than his dial in time of 15.40 (mine was 15.60).

I had a great time. I do not consider myself as a serious competition
racer, nor do I want to be. I have coached championship high school
basketball teams but winning was never THE goal for me. My satisfaction in
drag racing comes from bettering my best time and/or, depending on conditions,
my best trap speed.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red