Re: Ceiling

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Sat Jun 19 1999 - 15:20:54 EDT

Gregory Wright wrote:

> The fabric on the ceiling of my 1987 Dakota cab is starting to detach from
> the ceiling and it doesn't make the truck look all that "sweet." Does anyone
> have any suggestions as to what to use to reattach it? Or should I just go
> out and buy a whole new piece? Thanks.
>
> Gregory "Reno" Wright
>
> GO BLUE! University of Michigan
> Department of Kineseology
You'll have to remove the entire headliner and backing board. It might
be fairly easy, just look around the cab and find all the trim pieces
that hold it up to the roof and unscrew/clip them.
Next, tear all the old fabric liner off the board. What is let should be
the sponge cushion layer, you can take that stuff off with sandpaper or
sometimes it will just rub off. You have to get it all clean and smooth
though.
Once the board is clean, you take bulk headliner material and cut it to
fit the board. Cut it larger than you need and trim the excess material
later.
You will need spray contact glue. Spray the entire mounting surface of
the board and the back of the new fabric with an even coat. Don't use
too much, or it bill bleed through. Once the glue is dry, line up the
material and lay it on in a "roll" fashion so you can smooth and align
as you go. Once the material touches the board, it's STUCK, so be
careful.
Once the material is on the board and pressed down smooth, cut out the
light and sunvisor mounts and trim the overhang.
You're ready to re-install.
You can get material in your color by the square yard and spray glue at
a trim supply shop for about 15.00
If this is too much work, there are places that specialize in
headliners, usually for around 100.00
You can't "fix" the current drooping
headliner. Alan S.