Re: Mopar Nationals at St. Thomas, Ont.

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 1999 - 23:00:23 EDT

At 10:03 PM 6/20/99 EDT, you wrote:
>How many RPM were you turning when you think you had valve float ?? I don't
>think you could float the valves any where below the rev limiter, even with
>the MP computer higher rev limiter unless you have a different cam than stock

During test and time trials, since the season started, I found that
I could do a 1-2 shift on the auto. @ 5200 rpm and 2-3 shift @ 5000 rpm
on the stock cam and valve springs in order to get my best 60' times and
best e.ts. and trap speeds. This is with the MP computer. I know that
this is over the redline but I had read that, the stock valve springs
could be taken to near 6000 rpm before the valves would float.

>Also the last info I read on the BFG's is that the recommendation was to
>go around the water and just do a couple of dry hops to clean the treads.
>Originally they recommended enough spin to just start smoke then quit but
>later changed that as the tires were beading up and were actually losing
>traction because of that. I know my first set I used to just get smoke and
>they were beading up and wouldn't bite very well occasionally .

I started with going around the water and dry hops but found that I could
still have tire spin on a 1500 rpm launch. I then started testing how to
get a bit more tire spin to warm them up a bit more. The only way was
to go through the water, stop with the drag radials on the damp portion just
beyond the water pit, hold the brakes, place the auto. in 2nd, squeeze the
gas pedal until a bit of smoke from the tire spin, release the brakes and
accelerate for about 15 feet. This cleaned the tires of accumulated debris
and allowed me to launch from 1500 to almost 1800 consistently without tire
spin.
I have not noticed any beading affect with this procedure.

I think what caused the valve float on my run against the R/T was the
excessive burnout that occurred. It was not intentional. When I released
the brakes and accelerated, the truck stayed on the one spot (don't know
why unless something else was on the track...PA had previously said that some
rad fluid had been dropped) and just spun some more but at higher rpms
getting the
tires too hot and putting to much stress on the springs. Apparently, I really
smoked them (didn't see anything ... just heard the spectators' reactions).

The other thing that I found through testing was that 18 lbs. of air pressure
was my optimum setup.

>The last ship date on my valve springs was June 3rd but no springs and no
>replys to my e-mails. I sent a e-mail friday and told them if they had not
>been shipped or were not in stock ready to ship immediately then to cancel
>the order. I'll tell ya I've been to 12 county fairs, 4 church socials, 6
>graduation parties and 1 weiner roast and I swear I have never seen anything
>as worthless as Mopar Performance Parts. Lots of luck with your springs and
>let me know if you ever get them :-) Now the TB that should be a coming soon
>I would think..

Thanks for the info. on the springs. I'll let you know if and when I get
them.
If it's any consolation, MPP won't even tell a Dodge dealer parts manager
anything.
I'd like to test the TB as well this season but, since it's a stage 2, it
might show a hp/torque loss without the cam installed.

Sorry for the length.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red