K&N FIPK GEN II.. I have one installed.

From: Mike Williams (williams@kode.net)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 22:39:21 EDT

You may have caught my post that I was in the middle of
installing the K&N Gen II package on my R/T.

By weird coincidence I called up our local K&N distributor
today. He had been bugging me to buy one for the R/T since he
found out I bought it. I was unsure, I wanted to see some
results before I sunk that much cash down on something. But I
told him to give me a call when he got some in. Well I call him
today to see if he had any idea when when the would be arriving.
He told me he had just received his first 5 in that days
shipment. He told me that 2 were already spoken for and he had
three available. I had been number 4 on the list but his partner
who just happens to also have an R/T decided to go with a shaker
hood instead. Needless to say I stopped by his house and pick up
the merchandise.

The install did not go as well as I had hoped. I will be calling
the K&N tech line tomorrow with some suggestions.

1st off throw away the self lock nuts that come with the kit. Go
to the hardware store and pick up some regular nuts and lock
washers. This is were I ran into a problem. Step 2 has you
attach a bracket for the heatshield onto the stud on the inner
fender well where the air box used to mount. I threaded it by
hand and then went to tighten it down and the stud started to
turn. I tried a torch, using pliers to lift up on the bolt it
just wouldn't come off. There wasn't enough room to get a pair
of visegrips on it and I was trying to save the treads and the
paint. This stud is pressed into the metal not bolted or welded.
In my infinite wisdom I used a nut splitter on it and ended up
pulling the stud out of the fender well. I ended up drilling a
hole and using a self tapping screw to attach the bracket.

The rest of the install was a breeze.

Now the good news I just got back from taking the R/T for a
drive. At the first light I came to I nailed and a spun the
tires all the way thought the intersection and it shifted to
second and continued to spin for about another 2 feet. Before I
had gotten a rare chirp in second.

I was running a Mopar Performance open element filter set up
with a 13" X 3 K&N filter. It was very noisy and whistled and
hissed. This K&N unit doesn't seem much louder than the stock
air box. Of course it's been a few months since I drove with a
the air box on.

Another thing I noticed was that the truck was much more
responsive. There is much less delay when pressing down the
pedal to see some action. I didn't take the it out on the
expressway tonight to see what the high end was like. I'll have
to put some miles on the truck and see what it does after the
computer adjust to the new system.

Know if you were doing your math and you figure that my
distributor has five, 2 were spoken for and this guy just bought
one, that leaves 2 left. That's right, I was going to post
Gary's phone number so someone would get a chance at on of these
units. But then after some soul searching I decided against it.
I didn't want his phone to be ring off the hook to all hours of
the night and all day tomorrow for a product he only has 2 of.
If you live in the Detroit area you may get lucky and get one of
these. Gary will have a vender space at the car show at the
Dodge Main plant in Warren this coming Sunday. He will have the
filters chargers there. You can't miss him. Big blue Dodge van
selling K&N products. If you are from Detroit you probably know
the guy already.

One last thing, It's early and I haven't really had a chance to
evaluate it but this product seem to do what it is advertised to
do. I recommend a buy if you have the budget for it. I paid $250
dollars out the door 6% MI sales tax included.

Oh ya, If somebody on the R/T list could try to forward this to
list I would appreciate it. I haven't been able to post since
this afternoon.

--
Mike Williams
99 Blk R/T CC