Cracked Rear Axle

From: Mike Burgess (mike.burgess@akamail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 17:39:26 EDT

The tire shop pointed out a oil leak in my diff, and the dealer
says it's a crack in the axle. Yikes! They've ordered a new
axle/diff houseing, and will pull mine apart and rebuild it
in the new houseing. (I've got the ltd slip) How risky is this going
to to be, getting all the shims in the right places, and the gears
properly adjusted? Covered under warrenty, but - gulp - this
is the 2nd major item that's been done, I don't beat it hard, esp
for a truck. I first had the front upper A arm bushings go, they
replaced the whole A arm assy, now a rear axle case, I have 25,000
miles on a '98 CC 5.2L auto. The trans is holding up, and the motor
seems fine, but if I was footing the bill, this would start adding up
pretty quick..
  Anyone else lose a axle like this?
PS only a 4x2
Mike