Re: Re: To Mod or MPI?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 26 1999 - 04:02:11 EDT

At 09:53 AM 6/24/99 , you wrote:
>WillTier@aol.com wrote:
>> GS
>>
>> Jon has the MPI on and working, well kind of :-) The manifold is OK but
>there
>> is a little matter of something else wrong with the engine due to a slight
>> manual tranny error.
>

>Uh Oh, I hope its not rearend problems again.

   Nope, but I might be having some in the future because of it... ;-)

 At about 5500 RPM in 3rd gear, I shifted into 2nd. DOH!!! The rearend
hopped all
over the place, and the engine shut off (rev limiter, probably). The rev
limiter doesn't help much when its the tires pushing the engine though.
Bent a few valves, and the engine ran like crap. I pushed in the clutch
right away (seemed like an eternity to me) and coasted down to the end.
(Still ran a 14.9 tho) ;-)

  Anyway, I've got the truck back now and it appears to be running OK;
hopefully there isn't too much residual damage to the drivetrain. Shifting
(especially 3-4) still gives me the willies though! I'd like to try to
come up with some sort of shifter gate or something that will help to
prevent this from happening again. (a-la Ferrari)

  Autos DO have their benefits! :-)

(Hey, who said that???) ;-)

                                               -Jon-