Major Engine problem

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 16:29:34 EDT

Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:42:40 -0500
From: John Neff <jndneff@texas.net>
Subject: DML: Major Engine problem

All,
I just got finished doing a break check on all four corners and had a rude
awakening. No, the breaks are fine, surprise surprise. What I did find
though was that I have a head gasket leaking coolant. The front outside
corner of the passenger side bank has coolant stains coming from right under
the head bolt.

--> is the anti-freeze going down in the overflow bottle? You AC is on the
passenger's side and it generates lots of water (condensation), perhaps
some is blowing onto the head....or could you have overfilled your
windshield washer bottle?

 I'm due to take the truck on a 3000 mile trip next weekend so
I'm adding this to my list of things to have fixed on tomorrows trip to the
dealer.

--> don't count on him redoing a head gasket tomorrow, it's a big job.

 The other items on my list are, leaking thermostat gasket,

--> been there

 leaking
valve cover breather, redo the alignment after replacing the lower ball
joints and tie rod ends (fifth trip in for problems relating to the ball
joints),

--> ball joints just done on mine at 20,000 miles.

 and the old favorite and third time in, rattling steering column.

--> probably need a intermediate shaft.

Now I can live with a small oil leak on the valve cover grommet as well as
the steering column. The alignment will at worst wear the tires faster. But
the two coolant leaks need to be addressed. The thermostat shouldn't be any
big deal, but I am very concerned about the head gasket. Has anyone heard of
this problem on the 318 V8 with only 23K miles on it?

--> the New Dodge is full of new surprises!

John
98 Dakota 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Leach headers, Intense Blue but shines
like Lemon Yellow.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.